Our Agriculture Strategy is dedicated to building a diversified global portfolio of assets, primarily farmland, generating stable, attractive returns over the long-term for investors.
Global and Sectoral
Since inception, Fiera Comox’s Global Agriculture Fund has invested in 8 investment platforms across 4 targeted countries and 4 sub-sectors. This provides current and prospective investors with a balanced exposure to the asset class and diversification benefits, with an exposure to over 230,000+ acres of farmland producing over 14 different agricultural commodities in 10 climate regions.
Fiera Comox is continually evaluating new investment opportunities to complement its current portfolio.
- Acres of
- Apples and Cherries
- Maple Syrup
- Cherries, Cherry Plums, Golden Kiwis
|Row Crops||Up to 50%|
|Animal Protein||Up to 40%|
|Permanent Crops||Up to 50%|
|Related Rural||Up to 40%|
|United States||Up to 65%|
|Australia||Up to 50%|
|Canada||Up to 30%|
|New Zealand||Up to 30%|
|Rest of World||Up to 30%|
Our highly experienced agriculture team has previously acquired close to 5 million acres of land globally while generating a leading track record of returns. The founding team has worked together for more than 10 years, including at one of Canada’s largest pension plans, where they founded and led the Natural Resources group, which at the time of their departure was one of the largest investors in the sector globally.
The team has developed a robust due diligence process, large deal pipeline, and extensive global network of reputable operators. Fiera Comox has a deep understanding of an assets’ positioning on the global cost curve and the implications on risk and volatility. Its diversified sector and geographic expertise allows the team to best allocate capital to different agricultural sectors and regions to target superior risk-adjusted returns in various market environment.
- High-quality, land-centric farming assets, providing a core risk exposure to the asset class. Selection of assets with a production history in markets with strong supply and demand fundamentals that are well positioned to generate cash yield and capital appreciation
- Own-and-operate model with value add opportunities, providing access to cash yield, capital appreciations and alpha through active roll-up strategy and land improvement initiatives
- Partnership approach which aligns interests and attracts the best operating partners in the world, thus increasing the depth of operating expertise while expanding deal sourcing and growth capabilities through the development of investment platforms. Entrepreneurial model promoting global sharing of best agricultural practices, combining operational and private equity diligence and discipline
- Geographical and sectoral diversification allows the diversification of idiosyncratic risk and to allocate capital toward globally competitive assets that have historically been best positioned to deliver strong returns across commodity cycles
- Strong ESG focus by integrating ESG considerations at every stage of our investment and underwriting processes and by promoting a ESG-driven culture across our platforms